Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to the first disciples.
Jesus gives the us the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- Balloons(or plastic sandwich bags would work as well)
Create a special table or sacred space in your home you can where you focus during prayer and your in-home Sunday celebration. Here is a video on how to do so: https://catechistsjourney.loyolapress.com/2020/04/pop-up-catechesis-creating-a-prayer-space-in-your-home/
Today is a special day in the Church – Pentecost – the birthday of the Church. Wear something red, which is the liturgical color for this solemnity. Add red items to your sacred space.
Light the candle. Call your family to prayer.
Begin by reading today’s First Reading, Acts 2:1-11 (http://cms.usccb.org/bible/readings/053120-day.cfm)
Give each person an uninflated balloon or bag. Use the activity found at https://sermons4kids.com/filled_with_the_holy_spirit.htm to explain the great gift that Jesus gave us in the Holy Spirit.
Choose one of the music suggestions below. Sing together as a family.
Make the Sign of the Cross.
Together read the Sunday Gospel. http://cms.usccb.org/bible/readings/053120-day.cfm
Feel free to use your family bible or children’s bible. Be creative. Read it in parts. Act out the story. Or a children’s version can be found here: http://jareddees.com/pentecost-biblestory-kids/
- Jesus gave the apostles two things. What were they? (Peace and the Holy Spirit)
- What did he ask them to do with his peace and the Holy Spirit? (Forgive people’s sins)
- It is not always easy to forgive others, but with the Holy Spirit helping us it may be a little easier. Think of someone that you need to forgive and give them your forgiveness. Tell them that you forgive them the next time you talk to them.
- There are seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety, and fear of the Lord. For more information: https://www.loyolapress.com/catholic-resources/scripture-and-tradition/catholic-basics/catholic-beliefs-and-practices/gifts-of-the-holy-spirit/
As a disciple of Jesus, how do these gifts help you spread God’s love all over the world?
I believe in God the Father almighty Creator of heaven and earth. And in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father almighty, from thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. Amen.
Choose another song to sing together.
As a family, offer prayers for our Church, our world, your local communities, and your families.
The Lord’s Prayer
Together pray the words that our Savior gave us:
Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done,
on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.
Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful.
And kindle in them the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created.
And you will renew the face of the earth.
by the light of the Holy Spirit
you have taught the hearts of your faithful.
In the same Spirit
help us to relish what is right
and always rejoice in your consolation.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Conclude with the Sign of the Cross.
Choose another song to sing together.
Family Activity Suggestions:
- Learn some words or prayers in another language: At the first Pentecost, the disciples were given the ability to speak in different languages so that God’s word could go to the ends of the earth. Learn some prayers or simple phrases in another language that may help you to spread God’s word in a new way.
- Have a birthday party for the church! Make a meal together complete with birthday cake. While you eat, share stories about how the Holy Spirit has been active in your lives. What are the “God moments” you have experienced that you cannot explain any other way?
- Discipleship Pledge cards – How are you going to bring God’s word to the ends of the earth? https://catechistsjourney.loyolapress.com/2015/04/discipleship-pledge-cards-for-pentecost/
Gathering: One Spirit, One Church
Psalm Response: Psalm 104: Lord, Send Out Your Spirit
Presentation of the Gifts: We Have Been Told
Communion: Taste and See
Hymn of Praise: The Spirit Sends Us Forth
Other Web Resources:
The Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) (official aid agency of the Catholic Church in England and Wales and part of Caritas International):
Strong Catholic Faith: