Mealtime Table Talk for Families
Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple area and to breaking bread in their homes. They ate their meals with exultation and sincerity of heart, praising God and enjoying favor with all the people. –Acts of the Apostles 2:46-47a
Bring your bible and this print and fold-able ‘table tent’ (or your electronic device) to your dinner table with your family to discuss Sunday’s Gospel and how you can be the Body of Christ in the world.
Prayer before meals
Bless us, O Lord,
and these thy gifts which
we are about to receive from thy bounty,
through Christ, Our Lord.
Eat the meal together. Have each family member respond to the following questions:
Where have I given kindness this week?
Where have I received kindness this week?
Together Read and Reflect on the Holy Day’s Gospel
February 28, Second Sunday of Lent: Mark 9:2-10
Feel free to use your family bible or children’s bible. Be creative. Read it in parts. Act out the story.
- We hear a version of this gospel every Second Sunday of Lent. Does it seem familiar to you? What do you remember from other years?
- What do you think it would be like to be Peter, James, and John?
- Have you ever had a faith experience like they did? What did you think? Feel?
- Do you think it would be hard to keep the Transfiguration to yourself?hy do you think the Spirit drove Jesus into the desert?
Family Action Step
Go out into the world to be the Body of Christ. Choose an action for your family this week that brings Christ to others. Maybe it is an action inspired by your Gospel reflection.
Prayer after Meals
We give you thanks
for all your gifts,
living and reigning
now and for ever.
For further reflection during Lent:
Second Sunday of Lent Reflection (7:04)
Presented as a collaborative effort facilitated by Catholic Education Ministries with special thanks to:
- Presenter Linda Kaiser, Director of Safe Environment of the Diocese of Saint Cloud.
- Students and Teachers from the Spanish Classes at Cathedral High School for reading in both Spanish and English.
- Lenten Winter Journey Reflection Clip, Photographs by Barbara Sutton, improvisations on “I heard the Voice of Jesus” (traditional English melody) created and performed by David Fremo.